Thai lottery is the official national lottery of the Thailand that is administrated by the Government lottery office itself. There are only two forms of legalized gambling permitted in Thailand. One is thai lottery and the other is horse riding in Bangkok.
It is the most popular legal form of gambling in Thailand despite of its low payout ratio as compared to the famous lotteries of other countries.
Family Network Foundation’s Secretary named Wanchai Boonpracha said that:
Around 19.2 of 67 million Thais played the government lottery by spending 76 billion baht (US$2.3 billion) in 2014.
Normally government only licenses and monitors the lottery business but the Thai Government Lottery Office aka GLO prints and sell the lottery tickets to wholesalers.
Now we will talk about the history of the lottery tickets that were first issued in the reign of King Rama V (1868-1910). On the birthday of his Royal bodyguard in 1874, the King allowed him to operate the lottery. After that lotteries becomes the regular income source for the government and it was continued till 1933. Over the passing the years the price of lottery ticket has increased gradually from one baht to its present official price that is 80 baht.
Core Functions of the Government Lottery office.
Government lottery office is the main source of state revenue. As per the GLO Act B.E. 2517 the Lottery Office has been given the following objectives:
- Issuing the Government lottery tickets.
- Take care of all the other activities necessary for the operation of the Government Lottery Office.
- Responsible to facilitate the printing of Government lottery tickets for the purpose of security.
The income generated by GLO from the selling of thai lottery tickets will be distributed as follows:
- 60 percent of the total prize money will be awarded to the lottery player.
- State revenue can be at least 28 percent of the prize.
- 3 percent of the prize money goes for administrative cost.
- 9 percent will be for sales discount.
- And less than or equal to 12 percent will be charged for administration tasks including expense of the selling of lottery tickets.